Monday, August 12, 2013

Where Are The Well-Wishers?

An interesting thing happened to me that I was thinking about it this morning & thought I'd share.

An acquaintance of mine - someone I really don't know very well - contacted me because she had some leftover fertility medication that she wasn't going to use & wanted to see if I'd be interested. Now, I totally declined this offer because it just seems strange to me to buy someone else's leftover meds. I feel like everything is very customized to each persons situation... and these particular ones were injectables, something I don't think I'll ever need to be on.

So anyway, we were texting back and forth the other day about this. She would ask me things like "who do you go to?" and "how long have you been trying" and "what did they find wrong?" - phew, loaded questions for someone I don't even hardly know (she's a friend of a friend). I'm a pretty open book, so I responded, answering her questions. Then she told me how they are doing IVF. I responded that she's so lucky - I wish I could do IVF, but we can't afford it. She said they couldn't either, but his parents paid for the whole thing. How lucky is that? After corresponding back and forth for a while, I said something along the lines of "good luck to you guys, I'm going to be thinking positive thoughts for you & I hope you get your happy ending". She responded that on wednesday they got the news that the IVF worked (that means she's pregnant right?). So of course, I responded and told her how happy I was and blah blah blah. You know the drill.

And that was it.

The conversation ended there.

WTF!

Where were my well wishes from her? Clearly I need them more than she does at this point.... but nope.... I got nothing.

I get that this process isolates you and it makes you get into your own head a little too much sometimes. It's normal to start thinking only of yourself and your own situation... however, a little humility and humbleness never hurt anyone. You need to still be aware of the struggles others around you are going thru. It always seems this is a journey of "my infertility story trumps YOUR infertility story". Really? Does it really have to be that way? Hurt is hurt.... pain is pain.... heartache is heartache. Get over yourself. You shouldn't leave your fellow infertiles in the dust as soon as you get a positive pregnancy test. I picture her saying "Sweet! I'm done with you! So long suckerrrrssssss!".

No comments:

Post a Comment