Thursday, October 24, 2013

Is Infertility Genetic?

I found out some interesting information this weekend and it got me thinking whether infertility is passed down through generations? 

We went to my hubby's Grandmother's house to do some painting and fixing of her garage this past weekend. He has an aunt/uncle who live further away that came and since we don't often get to see them, we usually get together on the nights they are here. We were sitting around the dining room table and somehow my hubby's Grandma started talking about babies ... she continued her stories and told me how it took her and her husband 5 years to conceive their first child. FIVE! And back then they didn't have all of these pain-in-my-butt fancy shmancy fertility treatments, so you were pretty much on your own to keep going and keep your fingers crossed. After those 5 years, she popped out the others fairly quickly (she went on to have 3 children). Is this giving you hope yet? Because in a strange way, it did for me.

This side of our family really hasn't known much about what's going on with us. His Aunt asked one day if we were trying or not and I told her yes, but that was the extent. I've been feeling the eyes on me every time they ask if I want a glass of wine ever since. Needless to say, I really wanted to fill them in on our situation - so I took my opportunity. Everyone was pretty shocked and saddened, but that turned into everyone sharing their infertility experiences. I sat and listened.

Grandma: Got pregnant w/ baby 1 after 5 years.
Aunt #1: Got pregnant w/ baby 1 fairly easy. Baby #2: had to be on clomid to achieve pregnancy. Took 5 years.
Aunt #2: Didn't conceive baby 1 until she was 35. Had terrible pregnancy, so adopted 2 children after this.

It got me thinking about genetics and infertility. Technically, my husband's dad did not have any trouble conceiving my hubby and his sister. So.... would his aunts/grandma really affect him? And believe me, I'm not trying to place any blame on any one person. We've done the tests.... and they say everything is fine with my hubby... and my eggs are dwindling. So if blame were to fall on anyone it would be me.

It's all very interesting to think about, but at the end of the day this story gives me hope. Yes, I might wind up being an older mother.... but none-the-less, I'm hopeful that I will still become a mother someday. Who knows if the AMH test I had was accurate. It was one blood test, on one day. I've never had an abnormal period.... so I want to believe that it was a fluke; something I can change. 

Some people just have to wait and try harder than others, but you just have to continue to have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment