Monday, September 2, 2013

Dinner Party Woes

I went back and forth for a while about writing this post. I'm always worried someone I write about will find this blog someday - and my anonymity will be ruined! haha..  So let me begin by saying that everything that happened to us last night was not anyone's fault. It's just something that my hubby and I are going to have to get used to... and that may take some time.

So we were invited to dinner at a friend's house over this labor day weekend. We got there around 3 and dinner wasn't until around 6:30 or 7. So that left lots of time to just hang out and chit chat. I used to love chit chatting over a bottle of wine - gossiping and talking about the Real Housewives. Unfortunately, this chatting has now turned to breastfeeding and your child's development. Phew! Lets just say last night was a true test for both me and my hubby. Our hosts have a one year old and the second guests have a 5 or 6 month old. So needless to say, there was a TON of baby/mommy/daddy talk. I learned something from this - something that makes me think we've made the right decision. I wasn't jealous. Talk of nipples changing (and not going back to normal by the way), dirty diapers, daycare problems, lack of sleep...etc. etc. Nothing about that left me going, "Oh, whyyyy why can't we have their life?!?!".

Now, saying that, it was still hard to listen to and figure out my place in the conversation. What the heck do I possibly have to contribute? I found myself silent for much of the evening, guzzling my glass of wine and stuffing my face with these delicious caramel chocolate chip bars. At one point, the younger baby started crying because he hit his head and the other child started crying because the other was. I walked over to my husband in the kitchen and he said to me, "at least we'll never have to deal with THAT". The crying continued for a while and in that moment, I was very happy for the first time to not have a child. Our life really isn't too shabby - we have all the time in the world to do the things we want to do. Like today - I slept in until 9, did some cleaning, now I'm blogging, and then I'm going to do some trashy TV watching. HAHA

Have you had to conquer the dreaded mommy/daddy dinner party yet?

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm doesn't sound like you're feeling too raw about it (at least on that particular day), but these situations can be very painful. Hope you continue to stay upbeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so too. I believe we've made the right decision, so once you fully accept it, it's hard to feel too badly about some of these situations.

      Delete