Friday, June 21, 2013

IUI cycle #1

I haven't done the best job of documenting this cycle - which is a shame since it is my first IUI everrrrrr. So exciting people!!

Let me catch you up real quick. I took clomid day 3 to day 7. On day 12 I had a baseline ultrasound done to check out the size of my follicles and just to see how well I responded to clomid. This was my very first cycle ever taking a fertility drug, so you just never know how it will go. The ultrasound showed that I had 6 follicles on my left ovary and 4 on my right. YIPPY! I was so relieved when I saw her counting out those dark areas on the ultrasound. I really didn't know what to expect. So, from there, they take the 3 largest follicles and count out what day they will all be around the 21mm mark (at least that's what I think she said).... Apparently follicles grow 2 mm every day? or maybe every other day? I need a better memory! In the meantime, I had received this HCG drug & syringe in the mail. Let me tell you, there's nothing more scary than knowing that you are going to have to give yourself a shot. And in a way, it's even more scary having to trust someone else to do it for you. This shot is a trigger shot and I needed to take it on day 15 (which was last night). Here it is ladies.....


GULP! This shot is given when your follicles are estimated to be their largest and it then triggers your body to ovulate. The nurses knew I would ovulate 3 sizable eggs this cycle. THREE! I can't believe that there will be three targets for those sperm to hit. How strange is that thought? 

Last night my husband injected the medicine into my buttcheek. I can't tell you the amount of psyching myself up I did leading up to this. But take it from me - if this is your first time ever having one - don't be nervous. It seriously was not terrible at all. I was grasping onto our comforter and saying "I'm ready, just do it quick!" and then a few seconds later, "is it in?" haha....   My hubby was a champ! I know he was super nervous and didn't know if he could do it, but he did an awesome job. 

I feel a little cramping down there, but nothing too terrible today. I took an ovulation test this morning and it was super positive, so at least it is working!

Now tomorrow morning, we go in to have our IUI done. I can't tell you how excited I am about it.... I'm so hopeful for this cycle!! I just have this feeling that either this one or the next one are going to be "it". I can't believe we're so close!

No comments:

Post a Comment