Sunday, July 14, 2013

Fertility Supplements (especially for DOR)

I've been wanting to write this post for quite some time and finally took the time to take photos for it this afternoon. Supplements.... it's hard to know what to take and what not to take when trying to conceive. I finally had to go out and buy a huuuuge pill box to accommodate all of the pills I am taking and my husband loves to make fun of it.

If you're anything like me, you'll do whatever you can to help you conceive. Sometimes that means taking 10 pills a day. So here is a rundown of everything I'm currently taking:


CoQ10: 400 mg
This is great for improving egg health and egg quality. This is great for women like me with a diminished ovarian reserve. It also has lots of other healthy benefits, so go grab some today!

Prenatal Vitamin
The importance of this is well known to all women trying to conceive. You just need to take one... period.

DHA
This lovely wonder is included in my prenatal vitamin package to be taken along w/ the normal vitamin. It has been shown to increase the number and size of follicles.

Vitamin D: 5,000 IU
This one is extremely important as well. Research has shown that if you have low vitamin D levels, you are likely to struggle with infertility. It helps IVF outcomes, endometriosis, & PCOS. It also helps regulate other reproductive hormones in your body.

Vitex: 800mg 
This one I suggest cautiously. You need to do your research to see if you think it is worth taking or not worth taking. There are a lot of conflicting reports out there about vitex - either you love it or you hate it. Vitex helps with hormonal imbalances in the body. If you have poor progesterone levels, this would be a great pill to take. My progesterone is still low (even when being on this) but it is still better than it would be without it.

DHEA-25
This amazing little pill counteracts the effects of aging. YIPPY! If you have very little eggs left (low AMH #), this would be a great pill to add to your daily routine. Prof. Adrian Shulman did a study recently about the effects of DHEA with infertility and he found that women taking this supplement were 3 times more likely to conceive than those not taking it. I've also read that this will improve the quality of your eggs.

 
The other thing I try to include in my daily life is royal jelly. If you choose to try this one, make sure to look for the REAL form. Do not take it in the pill form because it just isn't as effective that way. I found this jar at a local health store and they put it in honey which makes it taste delicious. I put a teaspoon-tablespoon of it in my morning tea. Royal jelly has been known to increase the quality of your eggs. It's also an AWESOME health food with lots and lots of benefits, so you really can't go wrong here.

Now there's one last thing that I have been debating on giving a try for a while. I haven't opened the bottle yet (in case I want to return it) because I'm still researching whether it is worth it to try or not.
Wild Yam.

This is supposed to act as progesterone in the body. This can help w/ the phase in your cycle after ovulation and it can also help with women who have suffered miscarriages. I just haven't decided if this one is necessary yet and I don't like to add things into the mix unless I'm certain it will be beneficial for me.

Do you have anything that you take regularly to help with infertility? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment